JUNE 25, 2003

3:00 P.M.




MEMBERS PRESENT:                   Phil Baxter, Vice-President; Carl Conner, Secretary;

                                                            Don Ashley, Attorney for the Board; Karan

                                                            Barnhill, Surveyor and Rod Madden, Deputy




ALSO PRESENT:                             Laura McKee




“By agreement of the members of this board present, Carl Conner, presided in the absence of President Don Williams.”


Commissioner Conner brought the meeting to order.   




The first order of business was the approval of minutes from May 28, 2003 and June 4, 2003, Commissioner Conner asked for a motion to approve the minutes.

Commissioner Baxter made a motion to approve the minutes for May 28 and June 4, 2003, 2nd by Commissioner Conner. Motion carried 2-0.






Karan explained that there were some issues that needed to be worked out with the adjoining landowners so she asked that it be continued.


Commissioner Conner stated that a recommendation has been made by the County Surveyor for the Board to continue the Oak Grove Subdivision #3.


Commissioner Baxter made a motion to continue Oak Grove Subdivision #3, 2nd by Commissioner Conner, motion carried 2-0.







Karan stated that she was contacted by Laura McKee (who is present at this meeting) and that with some of the improvements that are being done to State Road 62; they are going to have to relocate one of their Marathon-Ashland lines. She further stated that in doing so they will have to do a horizontal directional drill under Lockwood Ditch which is located parallel to S.R.62 and the railroad tracks just South of Telephone Road intersection. She added that it is being located just a few hundred feet from where it is now located, they will bore underneath the ditch approximately 12 feet below and they have entered into a covenant to Hold the County Harmless.


Commissioner Conner asked if this is related to the improvement to the highway?

Laura McKee with Marathon Ashland-Petroleum LLC stated that Indiana DOT has requested that they relocate their pipelines to allow for highway expansion of S.R. 62.


Commissioner Conner asked how long would it take to relocate the pipes?


Miss McKee answered that it should not be more than a few weeks, as Indiana DOT has already began some of the initial work on the highway project. She thinks probably about 3 weeks.


Commissioner Conner asked if her company was wanting to start right away?


Miss McKee answered as soon as possible as they are still working some final issues out with Norfolk Southern Railroad.


Commissioner Conner asked Karan if Mr. Ashley has had a chance to look this over.


Karan answered that she thinks he has, but it is the same wording.


Mr. Ashley stated that he believes he was the original author of the form that is being used.


Commissioner Baxter asked how far below the ditch would the pipe be placed?


Karan answered that it would be 12 feet below the flow line.


Commissioner Baxter made a motion to approve the request for the Hold Harmless from Marathon Ashland-Petroleum LLC, 2nd by Commissioner Conner. Motion carried 2-0.




Karan stated if the Board recalls the quotes that came in for the improvements to Cypress Creek which entailed pulling back several slips and shaping the banks up and it was approximately 7,100 lineal feet, the quotes came in extremely higher than what she thought they would. She added that Rod and herself put their heads together and did a summary of taking the lowest bid and talking to DG to see how he arrived at the figures that he came up with. She stated that she and Rod both had concerns that the cost of the labor to install the fabric was extremely high and also labor for running the short backhoe and the long backhoe might have been doubled up.                      


Karan and Rod are suggesting that it be re-bid and break it into two sections and maybe do one section now and another section next year, also re-bid it as dirt work only and what she is suggesting is that she order the material straight from the distributor which will cut out the middle man as the contractors sometimes raise the price and with her crew and summer help they can install the fabric. She would like approval from the Board and she has talked to Mr. Ashley about this.


Mr. Ashley stated that he sees no problem with how the Surveyor’s Office wants to do this.


Commissioner Conner asked if there were any questions?


Commissioner Baxter stated that if Mr. Ashley thinks it is appropriate, then he agrees.


Commissioner Conner stated that he thinks the Surveyor’s Office has taken a very logical approach to the project and he thinks it is the approach that the Board needs to take. He added that he had two questions? He asked if the project was going to be split up because our intent is when it says possibly next year, does that in fact mean only half of the project is going to be done this calendar year?


Karan answered no, she was splitting it up so that she can see if they can get it all done and the fabric laid in the time we have left before her summer help goes back to school as there is 7,100 lineal feet of ditch to be done. She stated that number two is to bring the cost of the project down to see what it is going to cost before there is a decision made on the rest of the ditch.


Commissioner Conner asked if the project is re-bid and split, is it for the intent of only doing one section this year or is there the possibility that the Board will do both sections this year.


Karan answered that she would like to see both sections done this year.


Commissioner Conner stated if that is the case then he would like to suggest that when it is re-bid, can it be done as two separate projects and also bid it out as a whole so that there may be a possibility that one contractor getting the entire project will do it less than having two separate contractors but yet we are giving them the option of bidding it both ways.


Karan stated she understood and also thinks it is a good idea. She also suggested that it be bid out as 7,100 lineal feet but ask the contractors to do section A and section B so that we will be getting cost for both sections but only do one section at a time. She asked if they were stating the same thing?


Commissioner Conner stated he believes they are and they are going to ask the contractors to bid and he assumes there will be more than one contractor bidding and they may give a cheaper price if it is bid out as one project in comparison to two. He asked if that could be done?


Karan stated they could ask the contractors to bid it as option A for half of it or option B for all of it, then there would be two bids that come in on one project and can decide at that time which one would be more feasible.


Commissioner Conner asked about the supplier they use for the blanket and asked if they had shopped around anywhere else for those materials and if they have not shopped around, why not get the purchasing manager involved from the standpoint of telling them what type of product you want and let them try to find more than one vendors to compare to J & J.


Karan stated that the product they use is North American Green and J & J are the main supplier for that in this area and the other reason we use them is because they guarantee their product and they come out and make sure that it’s installed properly and if it doesn’t work they will replace the product. She added that they are the only supplier in this area.


Commissioner Conner asked if they had a franchise on Southern Indiana?


Karan stated that the shipping and handling cost would probably not be feasible to purchase it from another company even if they could get the product cheaper. She also added that all the contractors buy the product from J & J also.


Commissioner Conner asked if J & J carried this product in their inventory?


Karan answered yes they do and her crew can pick it up at any time.


Commissioner Conner made a motion to accept the recommendation of the County Surveyor in regards to going out and re-bidding the Cypress Creek project with the stipulation that the Board bid both sections out separately and bid it out in the aggregate,

Motion 2nd by Commissioner Baxter. Motion carried 2-0.




Commissioner Conner stated there is a revised list of claims as his first one is for the amount of $986.00 and the second one is for $1,276.00, he asked Karan is the second one is correct?


Karan answered that is correct, the invoice from Nutec Supplies came in after Cheryl had made up the claim list so we just added it on and that makes the total $1,276.35.


Commissioner Baxter made a motion to approve the claims as presented in the amount of $1,276.35, 2nd by Commissioner Conner. Motion carried 2-0.


Commissioner Conner asked the Board or anyone in the audience if there was anything else to be brought before the Drainage Board? There was none.

Commissioner Baxter made a motion to adjourn, 2nd by Commissioner Conner. Motion carried 2-0.